Grande Diploma in Culinary Arts & Wine
18 Months (full time)
- Matric/Grade 12 Certificate
- An overwhelming passion for food and a desire to be excellent!
With 18 years of experience in culinary training, Prue Leith Chefs Academy has a proven track record of supplying the hospitality industry with outstanding young chefs. The Grande Diploma course balances theoretical knowledge and practical training in both training kitchens and the Academy restaurant to ensure that students are fully prepared for the workplace.
Through quality education, setting high standards and enforcing professionalism and discipline the Academy not only teaches cooking to the highest level but creates chefs who help to uplift the South African culinary industry.
The first semester of the Grande Diploma course focusses on foundational knowledge and skills with the students spending most of their time in the Academy’s state of the art training kitchen. In the second semester students continue theoretical studies in specialist kitchen subjects, different cuisines as well as kitchen management, event planning and menu planning.
This semester also prepares students for industry with the bulk of the time spent working in the Academy’s on site fine dining restaurant. The restaurant serves the general public and provides a valuable real life training environment for students.
The final semester of the course is spent in industry. Prue Leith Chefs Academy has a close relationships with some of the country’s best restaurants and hotels where students are placed in their final semester to complete a five month internship. After this semester students return to the Academy for a final exam and graduation.
- January & July Intake annually
- Prue Leith Grande Diploma in Culinary Arts & Wine
- City & Guilds: Level 1 IVQ Certificate in Food Preparation & Cooking (8065-01)
- Level 2 IVQ Diploma in Food Preparation & Culinary Arts (8065 – 02)
- Level 2 IVQ Diploma in Food & Beverage Service (8066-02)
- Cape Wine Academy Certificate: Introduction to South African Wines & Wines of the World
- Level 1 First Aid certificate and Fire & Safety Awareness certificate
To sign up for this course, please request your course pack which includes an application form.
Send me the full course pack
By clicking the "SUBMIT" button, I am attaching my electronic signature to and agreeing to the Prue Leith Terms of Service Agreement.