Cranberry and almond cookies
YIELD: 20-30 sliced cookies
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
BAKING TIME: 15- 20 minutes
- 230g unsalted butter
- 170g granulated white sugar
- 1 whole egg, room temperature
- 2 ml vanilla paste or extract
- 400g cake flour, sifted
- 5 g salt
- 50 flaked almonds or almond slivers
- 50g dried cranberries
- Castor sugar for rolling
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy using a KitchenAid bowl fixed with a paddle attachment.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Add the sifted flour, salt, dried cranberries and almonds, into the bowl and mix on low speed until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half and roll it into a log 3cm in diameter, repeat with the other half.
- Place the logs in the fridge for at least 1 hour to rest.
- Before baking roll the logs into the extra castor sugar and slice into 8mm slices.
- Place the round on a greased baking tray allowing some space in between the cookies.
- Bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
- Remove the cookies form the oven and allow to cool on the tray for 1 minute before placing on a cooling rack.
- Serve the cookies immediately or store in an airtight container or cookie jar.
These cookies do not spread much during baking so the cookies can be slightly bigger than stipulated above. Store any leftover unbaked cookie dough well wrapped in the freezer and thaw before use.