Cakes, biscuits & tarts, South African Flavours
Our buttermilk scones feature whenever we serve a cup of tea, or even bubbly – so that means all our graduations, orientations, open days and special occasions and has subsequently been one of the most requested recipes. Inspired by the purple Jacaranda streets of Pretoria in October, we are serving them this Open Day topped with one of our favourite South African ingredients – msoba (nightshade) jam.
For the Scones:
260g Cake flour, sifted
18g Baking powder
50g Granulated sugar
Msoba whipped cream topping:
250 ml cream, chilled
20g icing sugar, sifted
2,5ml vanilla pate
40ml Msoba (Nightshade) jam syrup
Strained Msoba berries in the jam for topping the scones
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine the flour, butter, baking powder, granulated sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Slowly add in the buttermilk to the flour mixture using a metal spoon and bring the mixture together to form a rough dough.
- Do not knead the mixture and be careful to not over work the dough.
- Lightly dust your surface with flour and roll out the dough to about 2½ cm thick and cut out circles, not wasting any dough because you should not re-roll it.
- Grease a baking tray, place the scones on top and brush the tops of the scones lightly with egg wash.
- Place the tray into the oven to bake, turn the tray after 10 minutes to ensure an even colour.
- Bake until the scones are a light golden brown colour.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Strain the msoba jam to separate fruit and syrup.
- Combine the cream and vanilla in a Kitchen Aid bowl with a whisk attachment and whisk to soft peak.
- Add the icing sugar and whisk too medium peak, gently fold in the msoba syrup than the berries, this will give the colour.
- Place the purple cream into a piping bag with a size 8 round nozzle.
- Once cooled cut the tops of the scones off with a bread knife. Pipe three concentric circles on the circumference of the scone, fill the center of the scone with the reserved msoba fruit and garnish with mint.
- Serve immediately.