Cakes, biscuits & tarts, Dessert, South African Flavours, Vegetarian
- 30 min
- confident cook
Xigugu is a Tsonga preparation made by grinding roasted corn and peanuts. This rich and delicious paste will be equally happy in savoury preparations, but we just love it in ice cream and cookies.
310g Cake Flour
5ml Baking powder
5ml Baking soda
200g Granulated Sugar
150g Brown sugar
180g Xigugu paste
5mll vanilla paste
Pinch of black pepper
16g Vanilla Paste
8 Egg Yolks
150g Castor Sugar
6g Corn Flour
50g Xigugu paste
For the cookies:
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using the a paddle attachment in a mixer, cream the butter and both sugars together on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the eggs and beat on high until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the xigugu paste and vanilla, then beat on high speed until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, then mix on low until combined. With the mixer running on low speed, careful not to overmix. Dough will be thick and soft.
- Cover and chill the dough for 1 hour in the refrigerator. If chilling for longer than a few hours, though, allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking because the dough will be quite hard.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Place dough in the fridge for 30minutes to rest.
- Roll cookie dough into balls, about 35g of dough per cookie. Use a fork to make a crisscross indent on top of each. Bake each batch for 10-12 minutes until very lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft.
- Remove from the oven. Cool cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Ice-Cream:
- Mix the sugar, corn flour and egg yolks together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the milk to scalding point with the vanilla pod and then temper it onto the egg mixture.
- Return to the heat and thicken stirring continuously until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the pot, strain onto the butterscotch, and add the xigugu.
- Add unwhipped cream and churn in an ice-cream machine.
- Once the mixture reached its ice-cream consistency, spoon into a flat tray and freeze. Use a cookie cutter, the same size as your cookies to cut discs and keep them frozen until ready to assemble your sandwiches.
Once ice-cream is frozen and cookies are cooled, sandwich together and enjoy!